LET’S TALK ABOUT THE BEST FACE SERUMS!
My newfound love for face serums is one that can’t be beat! It takes a long time for me to get into a consistent routine of doing something, but when I start seeing results I can’t help but stick to that routine like it’s my job. I used to get SO frustrated with my dull skin, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I had that dull skin feeling. I am SO excited for today’s post all about the best face serums I love, the order in which I apply them, and how I get the best use out of them!
A few quick tips: Consistency is key with face serums! Figure out a beauty routine that works for you and do your best to stick to it. It’s ok to build your serum collection over time. Don’t feel like you have to drop a bunch of money all at once! Here’s the thing about face serums: most of them are not cheap, but a small bottle lasts so long because you’re only using a few drops each time. Your skin will feel great as soon as the products are applied, but I’ve found that I start to see the real results about a month after consistently applying!
How cute is this makeup pouch!? You can customize it with your initials, and I have a matching pouch for my jewelry for travel. Talk about an incredible gift idea. (I have a post with all of my travel favorites coming soon, so stay tuned for more on these!)
Okay, so there are actually a few more than what the picture above shows. Most importantly, Herbivore Lapis Oil. I actually started using that when I had a crazy allergic reaction on my face from Dior Foundation last year. It is perfect for unbalanced skin! I use when it is “that time of the month” or anytime I have breakouts and it really is amazing.
Let’s talk about the products that made the lineup and what they do! These are listed in the order in which I use them!
My Top 5 Best Face Serums:
- Herbivore Prism (AM & PM): A super lightweight serum featuring a rainbow of natural fruit acids and hydrators to exfoliate, smooth, and clarify skin.
- CE Ferulic (AM & PM): A vitamin C serum that provides environmental protection, lightens lines, firms skin and brightens your complexion.
- Drunk Elephant Luxury Facial Oil (AM & PM): Look for a noticeable reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, redness and blotchiness, with a marked improvement in skin’s elastic feel. It is naturally anti-microbial and appropriate for all skin.
- Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil (PM Every other night): A next-generation retinol oil that boosts the look and feel of skin plumpness, while improving the appearance of wrinkles, redness, and pores for visibly younger-looking skin.
- Pineapple C Bright Serum (AM & PM)
How do I Know what Face Serum to Put on First?
It can take a while to figure out the perfect order to apply the serums, but a good rule of thumb is to go from thinnest consistency to the thickest! For example, Pineapple C Bright Serum is more goopy than the others so I always apply it last.
This technically isn’t a serum, but Drunk Elephant Sukari Babyfacial mask is a product I use every once in a while when I’m feeling like an over achiever. When I do chose to use this, I put the mask on, wait 15 minutes, wash it off, then begin my serum routine. It leaves my skin feeling SO smooth, but I don’t recommend using it every single day. What exactly is it? Sukari Babyfacial is a pro-quality “facial” that resurfaces skin to reveal greater clarity, improved skin texture and tone, and a more youthful-looking appearance.
A few more details on the Babyfacial:
– 25% AHA Blend (Glycolic + (T) Tartaric, (L) Lactic, (C) Citric Acids): Exfoliates surface dead skin cells and revs up surface turnover to smooth and brighten the appearance of skin.
– Gram/Chick Pea Flour: Balances and brightens skin’s appearance while combating dullness.
– Pumpkin Ferment Extract: A rich source of fatty acids and antioxidant components, carotene, lutein, and carotenoids; contains naturally occurring enzymes that aid in gentle exfoliation.
How to Get the Most Out of your Face Serums:
As I mentioned earlier, serums aren’t cheap. So how do we get the most out of them and make sure our skin is really benefiting from them?
- Use a facial roller. Using a jade or rose quartz crystal roller boosts blood circulation, reduce swelling, and helps your skincare products penetrate deeper. You can even stick it in the fridge or freezer to de-puff. For a long time I thought these were just another random thing for companies to sell to people, but I really notice a difference when I use my jade roller with my serums. To be honest you don’t need a fancy one. The only downside to a cheap one is sometimes they’re a little noisy/squeaky when it rolls compared to a nicer one that glides a little bit better.
- Use a carrier oil. Certain serums feel like they just don’t spread very well over my face. This is one of the reasons I love using Drunk Elephant Luxury Oil because it acts as a carrier oil and helps me spread the other serums better if that makes sense.
- Cleanse and Exfoliate well. Don’t just wipe your makeup off with a makeup wipe, even though I know it’s tempting! Cleansing and then using a good scrub will help those serums really sink in.
- Dermaplaning! Oh my goodness if you have never tried this, you have to! Dermaplaning is an exfoliating treatment that will remove peach fuzz and dead skin. It is the best feeling ever. I have had it done professionally, and I also use these razors for a little little DIY dermaplaning action. Obviously, the less peach fuzz and dead skin, the easier it is for your serums to do their job.