After sharing a few photos of my skin progress throughout 2020, I had quite the influx of skincare questions! Skincare has been a slow process of trial and error, and I am really happy with my routine at the moment! It is a combination of an acne and anti aging skincare routine that only takes a few minutes. With one simple diet change and a handful of products I have drastically changed my skin and I hope that this post can lead you in the right direction!
If you would have asked me a few years ago if I had acne, I would have told you no. I remember turning down a big offer from an acne skincare brand a few years ago because I couldn’t remember the last time I had a zit. WHAT!? The only real skincare concern of mine was the newfound wrinkles. Boy was I in for a treat. Somewhere along the line my skin decided to become extra sensitive. Adult acne is frustrating, and the more acne that crept up, the more I felt my confidence drop. When my skin is at it’s worst, I don’t even want to go in public. Before we start, here are a few photos of what my skin looked like during the first few months of 2020. You will also notice discoloration one my forehead from that one time I had folliculitus in 2019, which is when this whole sensitive skin thing started. If you’re struggling with adult acne, I feel your frustrations. That being said, here’s my current acne and anti aging skincare routine that has been extremely helpful in keeping my skin healthy and clear.
Acne and Anti Aging Skincare Routine
Fast forward to now, this is my skin!
It’s not perfect, but the progress makes me so happy!
Well let’s just start from the top! Before I get into the products, there is one easy diet swap that I made. I decided to switch out whole milk for oat milk or almond milk whenever possible! I’m sure eliminating all dairy would be even more beneficial but I like cheese way too much.
Dairy cows are treated with artificial hormones that affect their milk supply. Researchers suggest that those hormones may throw your hormones off balance when you consume milk products. This could trigger acne. Another theory is that the growth hormones already in milk naturally aggravate acne no matter what.
Every morning I start out with these peel pads. They are easy to use. Swipe the first pad on your face, wait two minutes, and then swipe the second pad on your face. I will usually brush my teeth in between so I’m not wasting any time. Get the most out of these peel pads by wiping them on your neck, chest, and tops of hands as well.
Skincare Concerns: Dullness and uneven skintone, Pores, Fine lines and wrinkles
– Glycolic Acid (AHA): Reduces visible signs of aging.
– Salicylic Acid (BHA): Reduces pore blockages and supports natural collagen.
– Lactic Acid (AHA): Supports natural cell renewal.
Next, I apply these 2 serums all over my face. Quick tip: Bring your serums down your neck, chest, and rub any excess on the tops of your hands!
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. I’ll be honest … this serum does not smell good, but it’s worth it! This is a vitamin C serum that provides environmental protection, lightens lines, firms skin and brightens your complexion.This is pricey, so I always recommend waiting for it to go on sale. I have an entire post about where to get Skinceuticals on sale here. For reference I use about 2 – 2. 5 bottles per year. A little goes a long way! (3-5 drops)
- Skinceuticals Blemish + Age Defense. This is an oil-free face serum that reduces the formation of adult acne, and improves visible signs of aging. This product is newer to me and I am very impressed. I mentioned this product on Instagram stories, and I received so many rave reviews about this serum. (3-5 drops)
(Linking each product at multiple places!)
The last step in my morning acne and anti aging skincare routine is to moisturize! I like to experiment with different moisturizers, but this has been a go-to lately. It its nice and light.
B-Hydra Intensive Hydration:
This delivers steady hydration throughout the day, leaving the skin looking healthy and more illuminated. Blended with a unique lentil-apple-and-watermelon complex, B-Hydra™ helps diminish drabness, dryness, and the appearance of fine lines. Your complexion will appear brighter and more youthful upon every application.
C Tango Vitamin C Eye Cream:
A rich and restorative eye cream featuring eight peptides, five forms of vitamin C, and cucumber extract for firmer-, brighter-looking skin.
Don’t forget to moisturize your lips, too! Dry unmoisturized lips can instantly age you, while moisturized lips can instantly freshen up your look. If you have dry lips like I do, I think you will love this lip mask. I wear it day and night.
Now let’s get into my night time acne and anti aging skincare routine. It’s pretty simple. First, I wash my face. (Use whatever face wash you prefer!)
After washing my face I will use the Salís sandalwood scrub.
I typically use this in the shower and let it sit for 5-10 minutes on my face before rinsing it off. Some tingling is normal from the salt. My skin feels INCREDIBLE when I use this. A little bit about this scrub:
- Salt destroys bad bacteria on the skin
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the skin more deeply than an actual moisturizer
- Penetration of oil may also help with wrinkles
- You can use a moisturizer after, but most people have found that they don’t need it after using the scrub for a few days.
- Pigmentation lightens
- Better skin tone
- Blackheads lessen
- Scars become less noticeable
- Acne and sores may heal after two weeks or less
- The salt may also significantly alleviate any redness in the skin.
After I shower, I use the Salís Skincare Frankincense serum.
Reasons I love this serum:
- Prevents signs of aging
- Anti-bacterial and Anti-fungal (THIS is the main reason I use it!)
- Balances oily or dry skin
- Softens dry skin on the face, hands, feet, or anywhere on your body
A-Passionni Retniol Cream
I’m sure you’ve heard of retinol before, but did you know it also helps with acne? It is famous for reducing fine lines and wrinkles, but I have noticed that a when I am consistent with a retinol, my skin doesn’t have as many breakouts. (If you want to get into the nitty gritty details there are a lot of articles on this!) Lately I have been using this retinol cream before bed. In fact, this is my third tube of it! I love that it doesn’t dry out my skin like other retinols do. All you need is a pea size amount.
And that’s it! I will also do the occasional spot treatment and I have included one of my favorites below.
Averr Aglow (Can be used as a spot treatment or as an overnight mask all over your face during acne flare ups.)
When I feel a breakout coming on or I am recovering from a breakout I will use this healing spray.
Robe Details: my pattern is sold out, but I linked some of my favorite patterns by the same brand below!
I hope you enjoyed this acne andante aging skincare routine! It’s nice to take a few minutes to treat your skin to some love. As the weather changes, my skincare routine will evolve as well. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on new products and tips that I love!
Do you have a current acne and anti aging skincare routine? Let me know in a comment below!