6 years ago I decided that I really wanted to make a DIY Valentines Day Gift for Brett. I got together with a friend and we came across the best little homemade gift that has become a Valentines Day tradition around here!
Now let me start off by saying 3 things: 1. I am not crafty. 2. I don’t have all day. 3. I am a horrible baker. (I once tried to make chocolate chip cookies from Pinterest and they turned into more of a cookie soup when I put them in the oven.) So aside from the taste and the cuteness, those are a few reasons why I really love this recipe! Sometimes DIY gifts are way beyond my expertise, but this DIY Valentines Day gift is a piece of cake.
DIY Valentines Day Gift: Homemade Kisses
Here’s what you need to get started:
- A Box of Oreos
- 8oz Softened Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Bark
Additional Supplies: Foil, Wax Paper
Optional: paper, stickers or marker
SHOP OUR VALENTINES DAY OUTFITS:
DIY Valentines Day Gift – Instructions
- Finely crush all but seven Oreos. I have done this in a blender or in a ziplock bag. If you do it in a blender, add a few in at a time and crack them in half as you add them into the blender. If you use a ziplock bag, it may take just a little bit longer but it works just fine. (Some people choose to blend it until it is completely smooth, while others prefer a little crunch.)
- Stir in your softened cream cheese. (Honestly, I just use my hands for this part!)
- Create 1 inch balls and place them onto a baking sheet. (You can adjust the size to your liking.)
- Start to mold them into the shape of Hershey kisses.
- Place them in the fridge or freezer while you melt the chocolate bark. I just use the directions on the packaging.
- Dip the chocolates into the melted chocolate. I use my hands to drop the kiss into the chocolate. Then I use a spoon to pour the melted chocolate over the top. Scoop them up with your spoon and let the extra chocolate drip off. Slide them onto your wax covered cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate and Decorate!
It really is the most simple and delicious idea compared to all of the other DIY Valentines Day gifts I have found and tried!
DIY Valentines Day Gift – Decorating:
Of course to give it that true Kiss look, you need foil! I cut squares that are about the size of my hand.
I typically print out little messages onto strips of paper like “xoxo” and “Happy Valentines Day.” Our printer has been acting up so I just bought some cute heart stickers this year instead. You can also just use a marker and handwrite messages!
Set your dry chocolate kiss in the middle of the foil and wrap it up. Stick your message near the top before fully closing it up. After a couple tries, you will get the hang of it.
This recipe makes enough to share, and trust me when I say you will be so glad that it makes so many! They are SO good! Whenever I bring the extras to friends houses, they are always shocked that I made them. Be sure to enjoy those extra 7 Oreos. Even if you aren’t looking for DIY Valentines Day Gifts, I feel like you could turn this into a fun gift for any holiday by switching up the message you write on the strips of paper.
SHOP OUR VALENTINES DAY OUTFITS:
PS: Loving this DIY Valentine’s Day gift? Click here now for my favorite V-Day sweater!