Let the mess begin! For the past month we have been living in a literal construction zone while beginning a huge DIY home remodel.
Things have been quite crazy around here, but I am just so excited to transform our house into exactly what we envision it to be. Here’s a glimpse into what we’ve been working on, and our DIY house remodel plans!
Our DIY Home Remodel Plans
- PAINT. (Benjamin Moore: Chantilly Lace.) First things first we are painting the inside of our house. It sounds like a simple task, but it took a lot of prep work to be able to get to a point where we were ready to paint!
- Removed pop-outs on our ceilings
- extended our laundry room wall to create more of a mudroom feel
- removed an ugly fireplace wall to open up our floorpan
- built a wall in our bedroom for master closet & removed wall of original closet
- last step before paint: dry wall & texture all of these changes
- NEW FLOORING. (Provenza Heirloom Liverpool Wood Flooring from ProSource.) We have chosen and purchased our flooring, and it is anxiously waiting to be put down in our entire downstairs! Before we can do this a few things need to happen:
- Paint completed
- Build Kitchen Island
- GLASS SLIDER. Our slider has been purchased and takes about 8 weeks to be delivered. We went with a 153″ sider with black framing. This is something we factored into our initial purchase cost when we bought the home. We knew right away that if we were going to buy this home, we wanted to put a slider in that takes us right to our backyard! This is going to be amazing! We put in our initial order and then decided to extend the width by about 2 feet. Although it set us back on timing by a couple of weeks I think it will be worth it.
- DETAILS: New baseboards and door frames, changing out hardware on doors, new (black) light fixtures and fans, add wood beams on ceiling, replace all light bulbs with LED lighting… I miss our LED in our old home so badly! Shutters were installed, which made a huge difference as well! Last but not least, we had shutters installed in all rooms!
- Build New Island ASAP so that flooring can go in. Current island is torn out!
- Create new cabinet doors
- Level out our two tiered countertops and reshaping end of cabinets (no more weird angle)
- Remove microwave, insert hood
Plans: White cabinets, Gray Island, slabs pictured above, white subway tile backsplash, black hardware, white farmhouse sink
Brett and our brother in law just framed out the entire fireplace. It already looks amazing, and I can’t wait to see the finished project! We are going with an electric fireplace, mantle above fireplace, tv mounted at the top! We do not have a stone or fireplace chosen yet but we’re hoping to finalize that this week. I think Brett is leaning towards brick… since I chose our paint color and kitchen countertop slabs, I’m letting him make the final decision on this one! (He is the one with the eye for design in this entire DIY house remodel! I definitely think Brick would be a classic choice that is far from a trendy decision that we could possibly regret later on.
3. Master Closet
The bones are in, however this project is on hold until our kitchen is functional! This is actually the first project we started on, but it came to a halt as summer started approaching. We decided it would be best to focus on our yard before it was too hot to plant in the Las Vegas heat. Many of you have asked if it is done and the answer is not even close! You can check out the closet makeover in our old home here! It is one of my most popular posts. Two things I can’t wait for in this closet:
- Brett to build a storage bench under the window pictured above!
- Barn doors that open up into this closet from our bedroom.
4.Laundry Room/ Mudroom
This is a project that I really had to talk Brett into. Our laundry room is small, so I had him move the wall out about a foot and a half. This will make room for lockers! I am thinking of doing a fun charcoal hexagon tile in this room. (Have not finalized this tile choice yet!)
Our DIY Home Remodel Plans
It’s safe to say we have a lot to do. I can’t wait to keep you updated on all of these remodeling projects!
In the meantime, you can see more diy home projects that we have done here! Of course this is just the beginning. Once all of these things are done, the fun things begin including building a farmhouse table, more design choices, etc.
Phase 2 of this DIY home remodel is nowhere near but it will include transforming the outside of our house. our upstairs game room (the only room we have upstairs), a nook bench built along our kitchen windows! Will I talk Brett into replacing our garage doors? Probably not but one can dream. 😉 I can’t wait to take you along for the entire journey!